Normally I DO RTFM, but in this case, I did not know WITFM (Where In The
F***ing Manual) to find what I was looking for. I am familiar with the
chmod command, but I did not know it was applicable in this situation, so
it did not occur to me to 'man chmod'. Nevertheless, thanks for the info.

Dave

At 11:06 AM 03/05/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Not meaning to be a wise@#$, but RTFM, dude.
>
>Anyway, here's how you do it.
>
>1.  In a terminal window as root, cd to the directory where smbmount and
>smbumount are (in Mdk it's /usr/bin)
>
>2.  # ls -l smbmnt     (you should see  -rwxr-xr-x)
>
>3.  #  chmod +s smbmnt (this will change the perms to -rwsr-sr-x)
>
>4.  Repeat step 3 with smbumount and smbmount
>
>This should fix it so that the tool can be executed by the user.
>
>It may be necessary (but probably will not be) to change the mountpoint
>perms /home/yourname/mnt to those of root in order to mount the share
>(I've never had to do this).
>

>Dave Sherman wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to use LinNeighborhood for network share access on my LAN.
> > Unfortunately, I keep receiving the error message:
> >         smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (501,501)
> >
> > I have heard about setting a program to run as root, but unfortunately
> > I do not know the command. Can anyone help?
> >
> > Dave
> > --
> > Registered Linux User #197840
> >
> > "Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditur."

Dave Sherman
SoftServ Business Systems, Inc.            "Quid quid latine dictum sit,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                  altum viditur."
(763) 569-9839