Jeff,

If you installed and setup Cups then you could check for your printer in
the Cups admin tools that are under the configuration menu and printers.
But that might have little or nothing to do with Gimp acting strangely.

Besides..uninstalling and reinstalling Gimp isn't going to have any
effect on your printer.

Mark