You probably don't want to do that cause ESC is used when in vi to change
modes in preparation for saving and exiting.  One usually 'turns on' vi by
typing  "vi <the file you want to edit or the new file you want to create>".
Then type an "a" to change it to insert mode (or what I think of as edit
mode).  Do your thing.  Then esc : w (to save) q (to quit).  This is what's
considered normal I suppose.  That's all esc will do for me, and j & k scroll
through the file, just as the arrow keys do.  Also, I wouldn't be messing
around in that .bashrc file too much.  HTHS.
-s