What do the /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab files look like?  My first guess would be that the system has been set up to expect a file system type other than what you are trying to mount (ie. it's expecting a linux disk and you are trying to mount an ISO9660 CD).  I've seen this happen occasionally when the system attempted to use the "supermount" protocols.  The second thing that comes mind is that the wrong drivers are being used for your CD roms.

Both of these could cause the errors you are reporting.

In order to test the first possibility :
from a shell type the following command as root (onece you've inserted a windows CD):  mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom. If it is simply a matter of the wrong file type, this will successfully mount the windows disk.

Matt Harrison wrote:

Well, don't know if this applies, and I don't want or intend to insult your
intelligence as related to linux, as I am a complete newbie, but I know my cd
drives do that if the disc doesn't have any relation to linux whatsoever.
Try mounting it with one of the linux cd's in the drive.  Hope this helps.

Matt

--
North Lilly
Lan Administrator