The installer makes no assumptions on it's own.

After all a high percentage of people run their own DNS daemon, etc...
and/or sometimes the user elects not to install dns/bind packages since they
are installing in a secondary machine on their network.

The NET tool on the other hand expects to be told which machine is the
resolver. It does not by itself set up your DNS.

Linuxconf handles DNS setup under separate entries, as it should.

It does a fairly good job of it too. The perennial problem with Linuxconf is
the abysmal documentation and help files.

Often exacting and differing syntax must be used in each of it's modules
(because they were written by different people) but the help/documentation
barely mentions ANYTHING.

As a result many people overlook Linuxconf and resort to circumventing it...
subsequently running into problems because they are not doing things the
Mandrake/Linuxconf way...
It's a nightmare for the newbie to wade thru this. The upside is that it
does make things easier to give help to newbies...

While I deem myself to know Linuxconf pretty well, there are still areas
that totally elude me... and others which are still in error.

Case in point: I discovered that the automatic update of DNS via the DHCPD
server for Windows Client allocation was attempting to write out the leases
file into the wrong directory.

This prevented DNS from getting update via the cron script that does this,
so while the leases would be allocated there were no corresponding DNS
additions or removals.

A simple symlink to the proper directory fixed this and now Linuxconf
correctly shows all allocations...

So WHERE are the docs for this?

As so typifies good coders, the Linuxconf authors can program with the best,
but can't write docs worth a damn.

-JMS
[EMAIL PROTECTED]