On Saturday 31 March 2001 11:41, you wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2001 15:24, you wrote:
> > On Friday 30 March 2001 08:43, you wrote:
> > > Hi.
> > > Is it possible to upgrade from RedHat 7.0 to Mandrake 7.2 without
> > > loosing too much information?
> > > What kind of info do I risk to loose?
> > > We've got qmail with vmail and courier on that machine right now
> > > and we don't look forward to loosing all the mail and accounts or
> > > the configurations.
> > >
> > > I'd be grateful for any help or comments onthis.
> > >
> > > /Patrik
> >
> > I think RedHat 7.0 and Mandrake 7.2 are essentially similar in terms
> > of kernel, etc.  Why would you even take the chance of upgrading from
> > a distro to a distro, besides I am sure that it cannot be done.
> > Remember the old adage, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
>
> Ummm you could upgrade from RH 7.0 to Mandrake 8.0 reasonably easily
> but an upgrade to 7.2 is not possible--there are binary
> incompatibilities from differing libraries, incompatible binary rpm
> packages, and rpm versions, and even different compilers!  We chose to
> stay with glibc2.1 and rpm3 one generation of software longer than RH,
> because we felt the compiler was not yet stable enough for general use,
> and the package of compiler, lib, and rpm version were not easily
> separable.
>
> Civileme

What about doing the following
- Backup /home & /etc
- Do a complete install
- Restore /home & /etc

This would keep most things the same, of course you will loose anything
not installed by rpm or after installation of RH & anything that was not
part of both the RH & Mandrake installs.

--
Alex
Kernel Panic is General Failure's second in command