I recently purchased a copy of Mandrake 7.2 with the intent of installing
it on my laptop. Unfortunately, as with previous attempts (Mandrake 7.1,
SUSE, Red Hat), I was unable to do so.

It would appear that the problem is something to do with my monitor, but it
could be the graphics card.

I have tried the following two monitor types:-
     Generic LCD 1024*768
     High Resolution SVGA

Laptop spec:-
     Hewlett Packard Omnibook XE2 DB
     Graphics Card ? Silicon Motion LynxE (2mb RAM)
     Purchased in Oct 99

After installing Mandrake xWin doesn't start. When I Type 'startx' from the
command promt I get the following error message?.

(ee) VGA (0) : Given depth (16) is not supported by this driver
(ee) Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration

Fatal Server error no screens found.

HELP - I SO BADLY WANT TO START USING LINUX