Well, I blew it. I installed Cygnus GnuPro Dev Kit on my system, and now it
won't boot! Here's the actual situation: After installation of the
software, I had to modify a couple of environment variables. I added an
entry to the /etc/ld.so.preload file (I had  to create the file first), but
unfortunately, I must have mistyped the path to the file, because now I get
an error that lists the path to the file, and then says "No such file
exists". This is during boot-up, and then the system hangs!

I tried to boot from the emergency diskette, but it still hung at the same
point.

Can anyone tell me how to get my system to do some sort of minimal boot so
as to avoid this error, and allow me to fix my mistake?

Dave

"...[W]e preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and
foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews
and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."
(1 Cor 1:23-24)