Thanks CB, I got your private response.

For what it's worth, the relative insecurity of Linux at the console is
well-known, even to this newbie. There are workarounds, of course, such as
making it boot from the primary hard drive only, and password-protecting
the BIOS so no one can change it to boot otherwise. Also, not allowing
anyone except root to mount any drive or filesystem, and keeping the CD-ROM
and diskette drives unmounted by default. There are probably other options,
as well.

Dave

At 11:43 PM 4/12/01 -0700, you wrote:
>"Mcintosh, Duncan" wrote:
> >
> > Have you tried at boot up to run linux single?. That should get you
> started.
>
>To find the answer I duplicated the problem he had.  The answer is no,
>you can't specify runlevel 1, nor can you specify init=/bin/sh.  The
>problem is that in all of these methods, the linux kernel still tries to
>pass off control to init.  init quickly dies and you are left with a
>kernel panic.
>
>I sent him a private reply because in the process of finding the answer,
>I found something that was a little disconcerting, namely how easy it
>was to get root on the machine.  I am thinking over things before I
>publicize it.  In retrospect, I don't like how easy it was to get root
>in this case.  Of course, if you have console access to ANY x86 machine,
>getting root is trivial.
>--
>Blue skies...           Todd
>| Get a bigger hammer!   |  Sometimes you get what you want.      |
>| http://www.mrball.net  |  Sometimes you get experience.         |
>| http://faq.mrball.net  |                     --unknown origin   |

"...[W]e preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and
foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews
and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God."
(1 Cor 1:23-24)