I apologize if this has been answered many times before.  I'm an extreme
newbie (and at my age linux seems a very steep learning curve) so please be
patient with me.

I was installing several programs in rpm format under KDE.  Everything was
find until I tried to install StarOffice 5.2 .  Then the dragon showed up
with a message saying I had an error.  I tried it once more with the same
result.  Later when I tried to start linux everything stopped at the console
(the part where the asci penguin appears).  I managed to log in as root and
found out I had kernal panic and a segmentation fault.  So I reinstalled.
Now I can log in as root but as nothing else.  I've tried deleting home
directories, removing and re-adding users, to no avail.  I apologize for any
idiocy, but what can I do about this?  Thank you for any help.

Michele Kerby