Hello,

I tried to update my MDK 7.2 setup to 8.0 and
encountered some problems during the installation.
Here's what happened:

a) Downloaded both 8.0-inst and 8.0-ext and burned
them on CDs.

b) Booted with the 8.0-inst CD and got into the
GUI installation interface. All my hardware seemed
to be recognized correctly during the boot process.

c) Selected the "Expert/Update" option.

d) Went through the first few steps (language,
keyboard, mouse etc.), but in the "Format Partitions"
step I kept getting "Cannot mount device" error.
It didn't say which device it couldn't mount (the
down side of GUI installation, I guess). This step
could not be skipped and the only way to quit the
installation is to press the reset button.

And here's my configuration:

Hardware:
 . Abit BP6
 . a Maxtor 20G ATA66 hard drive on IDE0
   (ATA33 interface)
 . a DVD drive and a CDR on IDE1
 . Promise ATA100 PCI card
 . a IBM 30G ATA100 hard drive connected to the
   Promise card

Software:
 . Win2k and Mandrake 7.2 with kernel 2.4.3
 . both hard drives are split half-half between
   Windows and Linux
 . The linux partitions are
   - The Maxtor disk: /, /home, swap
   - The IBM disk: /mnt/ibm, /usr/local

Any ideas on what could have gone wrong? With
so many exciting new features in 8.0 it's really
pretty frustrating that I couldn't even get it
installed.

Thanks a lot,

- Steve