"Hans N." wrote:

> At the graphical login screen, everything looks normal. I can log in to my
> user account, no problem. I can su to root, get into drakconfig, and all
> that other good stuff. But, when I try to use the graphical login screen to
> log in as root, I get a login failed message as if I were typing in the
> wrong password. But, it's not the wrong password and the right one works

Security is what Bastille is all about.  How do you enforce security?
Force someone to have a regular account and only give them the ability
to su to root if absolutely necessary.  This is a security driven
feature, not a bug.

Also a general philosophy: you should do as little as possible as the
root user.  You should only become root when you need to do
administrative things such as change a configuration file for a service
and stop/start/restart services.  By forcing you to not use root
carelessly, the installation is preventing disasters like "rm -rf * /".
Notice the extra space between the * and the /.  This will cause it to
first delete all files in the current directory, then begin a recursive
delete of the root directory.  Whereas if you were to try to execute
this command as a regular user, you would only destroy your home
directory and the root directory would be a long string of "permission
denied" messages.

I personally can't stand it when someone says "its for your own good",
but this is just such a case.  Once you gain experience and understand
the many differences between the permissions controlled regular users
and the almost unlimited power of the super user (root), you'll be able
to safely use its power.
--
tlyons at mandrakesoft dot com
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en