> see the latest entries.  No more of that  Linux terminal commands Mumbo
> Jumbo, back to good ole point and click.

Umm what's wrong with more /var/log/messages ?

:)

> To Edit the log file
> While it is displayed on the screen:

I'm not really clear why'd you want to edit a log file (cut & paste maybe
part of it to another file) but 'vi /var/log/messages' works too :).

That's the nicety of linux - best of both the GUI and (usually) more
powerful command line (depending on what you want to do).

Have you tried 'sndconfig'?