I've moved from Red Hat 7.1 to Mandrake 8.0 out of frustration with trying to
get masquerading to ppp to work.

With Mandrake, ppp started to work, but then all of a sudden it stopped working
completely upon connection with the message 'serial line is looped back'.  I
read a recent post on this, and will play with the chat script to see if I can
get around this.

Another problem I have is ipchains.  It doesn't install by default even though
I installed every package?

I ran the 'connection sharing' tool, I saw it install ipchains, but the tool
sets up my gateway for DHCP for the clients.  I don't want that.  I have static
IP addresses for my clients in the 192.168.1 range.  Also I noted that the tool
changed my eth0 address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1!  That's odd!

Finally, I tried to configure ipchains myself as I had it with Red Hat 6.0
previously, but on every ipchains command I run, it dies with the message
'protocol not available'.

What I want to do is set up a manual ppp connection from this machine, have it
masquerade for my internal network, then I'll add ipchains rules later to block
the services I don't want exposed to the Internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best route to take to get to this
point?

Best Regards,
Clarence Donath