Hello..  Does anyone out there have Mandrake 7.2 on a Compaq 1800T?

I've got KDE running at 800/600... but that's all I can get after reading the
Linux-Laptop howto  Kernel howto... even some Compaq 1800 specific helpiles.
Other people have done it...

The resolution goes up to 1400/1050.  I've tried using other people's
XF86config files, but they seem to do nothing.  In fact, I can delete all the
text in my XFree86 and it changes nothing...  Any idea why this is?

There was something about adding vga=835 to my lilo, but that does nothing.
Everything on the net is about lilo... but for some reason 7.2 installs grub
as default.  Can anyone tell me how to replace Grub with lilo after install?

Thanks!!