It was Thu, 24 May 2001 10:12:05 -0700 when Civileme wrote:

>Well, an upgrade / update is a tall order for something with as big a delta
>as 7.2 to 8.0, particularly since packaging policies changed and library
>policies changed.  You may have pieces of 8.0 uninstalled because the 7.2
>package was one and the 8.0 equivalent was 3 packages.

Hmm hmm. I did not know that the upgrade steps between version were steep.

>As a general rule, I make separate /usr/local and /home and /var directories,
>and just install a new version without formatting those partitions.  I use
>the update install in special circumstances for the SAME version.  For
>example, if I want to do a minimal install, build special filesystems then
>bring in the rest of the system, I use the update install to do it.  Update
>install is also a great way to implement MandrakeFreq images.

I assume then that this means it is best to do "new" installs each time, as in
formatting the partitions that are not in your list.
Okay, I can see that /usr/local is a mountpoint to a different partition, this
makes sense. This would mean then that all software one installs afterwards
should go to /usr/local then, and not to the default (for so many) /usr/bin?

I have tried to up to 8.0, but the cdplayer couldn't read
/mnt/var/lib/packages (or so), I guess it does not like the cd copy. I'll burn
one on the old Philips CDwriter and see if that helps.

Greetings
Paul

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.

http://nlpagan.net -  Registered Linux User 174403
       Linux Mandrake 7.2 - Sylpheed 0.4.66