On Thursday 24 May 2001 07:09, Mark Johnson wrote:
> I was thinking about going for my linux certification because I figured
> that would allow me to really learn linux and be systematically taught by
> some people that really understand the system.  But perhaps I'm begin
> naive.  Any thoughts about the value of linux certification?

Well, all current linux certification programs I am familiar with do not have
a "boot camp" appraoch as I have seen used by Microsoft and to a lesser
extent Cisco.  By that I mean, they let the student live in aq hotel, eat
meals with the instructors, take the exam twice or three times a day, and
coach them on the areas missed.

Instead the linux cert programs are more like the Novell cert.  You really
have to understand the stuff.  Training is another area, entirely.  Some do
it well, some do it poorly, almost all charge.  The RedHat ExamCram, I
believe an O'Reilly book, is not especially RH-centric and teaches a lot of
useful things fast if you are already an engineer.

As far as career moves--type linux at monster.com and you will find the
maximum number of jobs listed that they will list.  A lot of those folks are
either unable to assess resumes or are bone-headed enough to believe in
certificates, regardless of their true worth.

FWIW, I have no linux certificate.

Civileme