On Thursday 24 May 2001 18:46, Francisco Alcaraz Ariza wrote:
> Some packages are "costumed" to use lpr as the command to print; but cups
> have changed this. Now the command for acroread, kwriter, etc. must be xpp.
> Try it, in my case all those packages are now printing fine, I have
> configured my two printers:
> A) Epson Stylus Color 760 attached to one of the USB ports
> B) HP LaserJet 4L attached to the parallel port
>
> I have also the Epson in cups as two differents printers, lp1 as medium
> resolution (360 ppi) and lp3 as low resolution (180 ppi). When I try to
> print from, for example, acroread, using xpp as the print command, I can
> select one of the 3 printers/configurations.
>
> Using kups you can also improve the printers results, I mean leaf margins,
> graphical and text resolution and so on.
>
> Francisco Alcaraz
> Mucia(Spain)
>
> El Jue 24 May 2001 12:16, escribiste:
> > Dear All, I cannot print at all now in my LM8 with my Epson Stylus Color
> > with cups+gimp driver. I did download the new cups, too. It will printout
> > a test page and do the calibration but will not print from any
> > application. If I try to print from an app. I just get tons of papers
> > going through with sometimes some gibberish color and B&W print. When it
> > does this, I then go to the terminal to cancel the jobs, but lpstat shows
> > that there are no jobs and I cannot cancel them that way. I can from the
> > website for cups but that is the only place.
> >
> > Are there some files that I can check on to find out what is going on or
> > to get this to work? Again my printing worked fine in 7, 7.2, and works
> > fine with my WIn98 on my laptop. I know that it is not the printer
> > itself. When I first installed 8 the printer worked but the printing
> > quality was terrible and even with changing resolution, etc, nothing
> > improved. After trying many suggestions here plus reading on solutions, I
> > just ended up messing it all up more. Any help will be greatly
> > appreciated. Thanks so very much.
> >
> > Sincerely, Marcia

And you can also setup the printer queue in cups like say "Printer679" as a
queue name and make the command

lpr -P Printer679

And that will work with cups, but it lacks the power of choice you have with
xpp.  For some with a single printer, though, it is simpler.

LyX is the one that will not run that way.  You either have to get the cups
mini-daemon to run (cups-lpd) or print to a postscript file and then use xpp
to print the postscript file.

Civileme