I use Mandrake Update as a reference tool only. It has never once
removed the previously existing version of anything I have updated.

What I do is open a terminal window and login as su, then run Mandrake
Update to see what needs an upgrade; I open a browser window and go to
whichever mirror Mandrake Update is looking at; download the rpm's and
go to my su terminal. There I do an rpm -Uvh on the new rpms. This
updates them properly, and you get usable feedback if there are
conflicts or dependency problems rather than the terse "update failed"
message that Mandrake Update gives too often.

After doing the manual installs, go back to Mandrake Update and tell it
to update the package list; the ones just installed will no longer be on
the list.

I've tried the rpm --rebuilddb command and it makes no difference,
because if the older rpms are still there Mandrake Update won't notice
the new ones. It looks at the oldest version currently installed.

I wish I could take credit for coming up with this procedure, but I had
the same problem when I first started using Mandrake and another kind
list member clued me in to the limitations of the Update program.

Jay

--

There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.