I am not the original poster of this message, but since I own a laptop this
is something that I'd like to know how to do as well.  I will describe the
process in hopes that someone knows how.

Suspend to RAM or Hibernation, is when the computer copies the contents of
the RAM of the computer and also usually the video ram to a file on the
harddrive, and then powers down the computer completely.  The next time the
computer is turned on, the information is transferred back into RAM from the
hard disk and you are right back at the point where you originally
hibernated.

There are two basic benefits to hibernation as opposed to shutdown.  The
first is that hibernation is much faster than shuting down and then
rebooting.  You can hibernate in about 20 seconds (depending on how much RAM
the machine has) and resume in another 20 seconds.  To fully shutdown and
reboot a LM 8.0 machine into KDE takes about 5 min (on my computer).  The
second thing is that you can leave a text editor window and hibernate.
Then, when you restart you can immediately start editing the text again
without having to open any file.  It appears right on the screen.

I hope this has clarified the question.