> Occasionally when running simple commands such as "ps -aux|grep xxx"
> and "find . -name xxx" all I get is a segmentation fault returned to me.

Have you checked your RAM? Look for memtest86
(one place is http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/).

Another possibility is that maybe there is a disk to ram transfer
problem. The Sig11 FAQ (although your problem isn't related to compiling,
it could be caused by the same problems) at http://www.bitwizard.nl/Sig11/ .