-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mick
Sent: Monday, 4 June 2001 6:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] New LM 8.0 Box, not much joy! Help!!

Hello List,

Just got back from purchasing the new Linux box.
I got an Asus m/b A7A266, an AMD Athlon T/Bird 1 ghz. 512mb of PC-133
Memory.
I thought I was okay in the assumption that most ATI video cards would work
in Linux, especially LM 8.0, I got an ATI Expert 2000 AGP w/32mb.
The new HD is a Quantum Fireball 40 gig 7200rpm.
I then loaded up the new LM 8.0. Everything appeared to go well until
setting
up the X Server. This brings up my first question about LM in general.
Why is the setting up of the X Server and the video and monitor hardware
left
to be the very last thing in the line of items in installation?
>From reading problems day after day on the list it appears that this is the
main problem that arises 95% of the time during installs.
Anyway, to get back to the new install, the first error occurred after my X
didn't come up. At the prompt I ran XFdrake. The first thing I noticed was
no
ATI Expert 2000 AGP in the list to choose from.
If that wasn't bad enough then came the second very annoying error:
Probable hardware bug: Clock timer configuration lost. Probably VIA 686a
motherboard. Restoring chip configuration:
This keeps coming up every few minutes. Hmm...I wonder if I shouldn't have
had chose the GMT time zone option?
And then if that wasn't enough, you'd think that after all these weeks of
using LM 7.2, that I'd know by now how to powerdown from the prompt! I have
always used a GUI login and logout! I have tried HALT, POWEROFF, EXIT, TERM,
and many other words I can't repeat here!
Please, what is the Linux command to power down and off?
Many thanks,
Mick