Has anyone successfully gotten an Orinoco Silver wireless lan card to
work under Mandrake 8?
I've got an orinoco that wants to talk to an apple airport.  I've read
the messages on this list, and also the
http://lists.samba.org/listinfo/wireless list, but I still don't see the
"final conclusion" that shows how it's done.  [Mind you, I was able to
get the PCMCIA + PCI adapter all to work in 7.2, with the lucent
drivers.  Matter of fact, I'm using another machine configured
w/7.2+orinoco to write this.]

Now, with Mdk8, these seem to be the results others besides just me are
experiencing:

1.  Orinoco_cs/doesn't install because of unresolved syms.
2.  Lucent's drivers don't even compile under the new kernel.
3.  wvlan_cs -almost- works.

I'm assuming that #3, the driver that ships with Mandrake, is the way to
go, correct?  I've set it up to the best of my understanding, in a very
simple network, but something's wrong.  Pings to the AP or "outside"
give 'destination unreachable' errors.

Iwconfig states that I've got a link (at least it reports link quality
figures, so I'm guessing it found the access point).  I've got the ESSID
set to the network name and all that.  I don't use encryption on this
network, so that's not the issue.  Managed mode, no tricky ad-hoc
stuff.  I can insert/eject the card all day long and get the "good"
beeps, etc.

But, I'm stuck here:  my logfile's full of messages that say
        NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
        wvlan_cs: eth0 Tx timed out! resetting card
        wvlan_cs: MAC address on eth0 is <some address>
        wvlan_cs: Found firmware 0x60006 (vendor 1) - Firmware capabilites
1-1-1-1-1

I know that others have seen this problem, from reading the lists.

So, what's the magic incantation I'm missing?  I assume someone has
gotten the Orinoco to work under Mandrake 8.  How?  Can someone please
summarize (Skip Montanaro?) ?

thanks,
jeff