Good luck is right!  90% USB Modems are WinModems.  I found this out two
months ago when I was trying to give a USB modem I have to a friend to use
with a dual boot Mandrake/Windows machine.  IN trying to make sure it would
work on my machine, I found out it was a WinModem!   So it didn't work.

However, the real reason I'm replying here, since the other guy said pretty
much what I said above, is that you may need to recompile the new kernel to
get the USB modem to work.

I've spent the past 36 hours straight recompiling the kernel for my Mandrake
workstation at home.  One of the things I noticed with the new kernel,
2.4.5, is that there is an option that you can add to the kernel for USB
Modems.  I can't remember if it was turned on by default, since I disabled
USB support in the kernel earlier in the configuration.  You may want to try
that with trying to get the modem to work.  IF you're successful, let the
list know.  I know several of us would like to, and/or have tried to get a
USB modem working with Linux.  USB Modems are super fast in making
connections, and are very sound!  Maybe they're real reliable because they
are infact software modems.

tdh

T. Holmes
UNIXTECHS.org