download the kernel from kernel.org place it /tmp or where ever go to the
directory you placed it in say /tmp

[timh@r2d2 timh]$ gzip -cd linux-2.4.5.tar.gz | tar xvf -
[timh@r2d2 timh]$ cd linux
[timh@r2d2 timh]$ make mrproper
[timh@r2d2 timh]$ make xconfig

now configure with the options you want save and exit

[timh@r2d2 timh]$ make dep
[timh@r2d2 timh]$ make bzImage
[timh@r2d2 timh]$ make modules
[timh@r2d2 timh]$ make modules_install

then you have to copy the bzImage you created in /tmp/linux/arch/(i think)
i386/boot to /boot then edit /etc/lilo.conf to see the other image DONT
remove the other kernel incase this one doesn;t work properly

[timh@r2d2 timh]$ /sbin/lilo

then reboot

brandon caudle