On Monday 04 June 2001 08:50, n6tadam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have had a similar situation like this on my laptop. It seems that it is
> linked to the framebuffer that you use to boot up, and the default colour
> depth that X-window runs in.
>
> I would suggest, that as a test, you change your vga= in lilo.conf to
> vga=normal. Save the file, and then run "lilo".
>
> Then, change the default colour depth in "/etc/XF86Config" to 8, and then
> reboot your machine (init 6). If the colour depth displays ok, at 8 bit,
> without having to "chvt" each time, then it means that most likely, it is a
> problem with your graphics display.
>
> The fact that it restores the colour depth after you have switched to a VT
> and back again, suggests that your refresh rate for your monitor maybe
> inaccurate. But that is only a guess!
>
> If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.
> Kind Regards,
>
> Thomas Adam

Hi!

I followed your instructions and....it worked!

But I don't like 8-bit colour :).  Is there a way to make 16-bit work with
the "darkness" (it used to work before I upgraded KDE or XFree)?  I've
checked the refresh rate used by X for 1024x768x16 and it's higher than what
is reccommended by my manufacturer but still within the limits of my monitor
(VX700).

Thanks,
George Petri