The Mandrake 8.0 GCC is not the same as the unstable GCC used in Red
Hat 7.0 and 7.1. Unfortunately, for technical reasons, the Mandrake
developers decided to use the same version number as Red Hat used for
their GCC (2.96), creating heaps of confusion in the process. Mandrake
have been compiling Cooker with their GCC (a pruning from the
then-unfinished 3.0 tree) for months now, with no problems whatsoever.
Hopefully Mandrake will end this confusion by releasing a GCC 3.0
package. Red Hat have already done so, and have labelled it as a
critical update.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson