On Friday 15 June 2001 10:34, Charles Darcy wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I've lately installed LM8.0 and had it running well for
> the last month.
>
>     The only problem I've had is Sawfish crashing
> periodically. I think this may be linked to the Desk Guide
> applet, which crashed at the same time Sawfish dies. I've been
> able to continue by restarting Sawfish. The problem occured
> about once a week, until last night, when it happened several
> times.
>
>     This morning when I booted Linux, I was presented with the
> non-graphical console login screen, instead of the usual
> graphical login. I thought the X server might be the problem,
> so I tried to start it manually with 'startx', which gave the
> following messages:
>
>         FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: can't connect: errno = 2
>         failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1
>         fatal server error: could not open default font
> 'fixed'.
>
>     I'm afraid I'm too new to Linux to know what to do to fix
> this problem, so I very much appreciate advice from anyone as
> to how to fix it. As a very last resort I guess I could try
> re-installing LM8.0, but its taken me weeks to get my
> development environment nicely setup, and I would hate to have
> to do it over again.
>

> regards,
>
> Charlie.

Errrkkkk!  The problem took out the fontserver.  There is a way
to recover, but considering your status, I think it might be
less than educational to try.

Back up your data, reinstall, and go grab the mandrake_desk
update.  You can find it by clicking on www.linux-mandrake.com
the banner at the top of the page that says "security".

Now as for your development environment, when you  install, do
expert and go to individual package selection and click the
button at the bottom that says "flat list" to assure your
packages are all installed properly, then pick them out.  You
can save time against doing this _again_ by clicking on
"Advanced" when you reach the congratulations statement and
making an auto-install floppy.  If you have a separate /home
partition, don't format it and most of your config info will be
intact.

Civileme