Hi all,

I have a real problem wih may scanner. The hardware is listed below:
        P120 Chip with 160Meg Ram, Adaptec SCSI-2 card model AVA-2904
        HP5p SCSI scanner.

The machine is networked and provides print and scanner services to my home
network using Mandrake 8 on each network machine.

The scanner is perfectly fine when scanning in grey mode, but fails with an
I/O error when attempting color scans. I have included the output from
scanimage in test mode and also the dmesg output for the scsi card. The
scanning software is SANE 1.0.4 and using the SANE-hp backend. I prefer to
use scanimage from the command line so as to incorporate the commands in a
batch file for quick scan to file turnaround.

Scanimage tests:

scanimage -T
scanimage: scanning image of size 2550x3507 pixels at 1 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring gray frame, 1 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 319 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: reading one byte...          PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 2 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 4 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 8 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 16 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 32 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 64 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 128 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 256 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 512 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 511 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 255 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 127 bytes...   PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 63 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 31 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 15 bytes...    PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 7 bytes...     PASS
scanimage: stepped read, 3 bytes...     PASS

scanimage -T --mode color
scanimage: scanning image of size 2550x3507 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame, 8 bits/sample
scanimage: reading one scanline, 7650 bytes...  FAIL Error: Error during
device I/O

Dmesg output:

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:0f.0 to 32
ahc_pci:0:15:0: Host Adapter Bios disabled.  Using default SCSI device
parameters
scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.1.8
        <Adaptec 2902/04/10/15/20/30C SCSI adapter>
        aic7850: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/255 SCBs

  Vendor: HP        Model: C5110A            Rev: 3701
  Type:   Processor                          ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0, type 3
scsi0:0:4:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
scsi0:0:4:0: Command found on device queue
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
scsi0:0:4:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
(scsi0:A:4:0): Queuing a recovery SCB
scsi0:0:4:0: Device is disconnected, re-queuing SCB
Recovery code sleeping
Recovery SCB completes
Recovery code awake
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
scsi0:0:4:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
scsi0:0:4:0: Command not found
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
scsi0:0:4:0: Attempting to queue a TARGET RESET message
scsi0:0:4:0: Command not found
aic7xxx_dev_reset returns 8194

If anyone has any clue to what the problem could be, I would be really
grateful.

Thanks,

Dave.