Same problem here with my TP570. Since you've already checked the archives,
you've read that there's supposed something wrong with with the ps2 patch
that Mandrake applied to their 2.4.3 kernel. So the easiest fix would be to
use a different kernel (you currently find 2.4.5 on Mandrake cooker or take
the 2.2.19 from the distribution). If you insist on hacking the 2.4.3 kernel,
install the kernel source & have a look at the ps2 patch before compiling...

Nico