> First of all, "the desktop" is rarely defined by all the people who raise
> this issue. At which point does a "business desktop" shade off into a
> "workstation"? Is a "SOHO desktop" the same thing as a "corporate
> desktop"? And is there such a thing as a "home desktop"? Until all these
> categories are cleared up, we might just be shouting past each other.

All you may be adding a layer of un-needed complexity.

> WordPerfect is the big one for me. I use a spreadsheet once a year and
> I've never made a presentation in my life. Yes, I mean that - where I
> live, we still know how to run meetings without pretty pictures. So that
> brings us back to my question. Are you and I talking about the same thing
> when we pontificate about "the desktop"?

You seem to feel that what you do is typical of the "desktop." Actually, I
agree with the previous email. The OFFICE Suite as a whole has made a
tremendous impact onto the "desktop" Presentations are everywhere. Schools
have them, the governement have them, etc. Spreadsheets? If where you work
has an accounting department, an inventory control department, you will
find tons of spreadsheets there. I don't deal with them too much in my
present job, but we have whole departments that do. Fact of the matter is,
I feel the "desktop" must be able to handle all of the components in an
average Windows suite before it would be accepted.

Now, I don't feel that most people will ever use all or even most of the
features available to them in a Windows suite. I mean, have you ever read
all of the stuff it can do? Who really uses all of that stuff? I have
always felt that my company could save some serious dollars by buying Works
vs Office.

Of course they could just use Star Office, but the testers hated it.

> And the rest of us could learn something from them! But I think your
> characterisation of the community is a little dated. it was like that
> even 2 years ago, but increasingly all sorts of people are installing
> Linux now that it installs on average hardware without any tech-Voodoo
> being required.

More people are installing Linux now, but increasingly they are dual
booting. It seems that the hardcore Linux users of two years ago remain the
core users. I don't see someone that dual boots and only brings up Linux to
impress friends as someone to count as a user. Sdaly, I know about twenty
of those.

> What's with the "support" crap? There are people who write apps and there
> are people who use apps. Sometimes the same people on both sides. I've
> gotten all the "support" I need from forums like this one. Yeah, you get
> flamed occasionally. Nothing personal, shrug it off.  It's still tons
> better than the "support" I've gotten from commercial software.

Again you are basing it on what you know. Fact is, corporations like a
support entity. I can't imagine Exxon relying on newsgroups and mailing
list. I also can't imagine most people going to mailing list and
newsgroups. Have you ever watched Tech TV? Some of the calls are pitiful!
People don't know if they have a cdrom or  DVD player, they ask how to
create shortcuts, etc. It is the same if you go to stores like Best Buy and
just listen by the support window. People like going somewhere and getting
things done.

> So far, there are a lot of free-beer apps floating around, so of course
> getting people to pay is hard. When I see something I just got to have,
> I'll be prepared to pay a reasonable amount ... Bring it on! But not if
> three websites down the line I can get the same functionality for free.

Agreed, however I have paid for both Windows and Linux shareware. I believe
that an author deserves to get paid.

> Sorry to sound like a stuck record, but again, if you can actually define
> who Joe User is and what he needs or wants to do with a computer, you'll
> have made a big step forwards. Is he related to Joe Sixpack, btw?

I believe that Joe User is that typical guy you see at the big department
stores demanding MS Office on his PC. From all that I read and see people
have a concept of what they expect on their PC. I believe this is
re-enforced by the media. When you see the Dell commercials and they push
Office, people tend to feel that any PC they have should have it. Also,
people tend to like to use what they know, if they are using MS Office at
work...

> I think it is there already. All that is needed is the preloads.

It is no where near. Linux on the desktop is a ways away. I use it on mine,
but in the 14,000 employee company that I work in, I am among the 8 that do.
My wife works for the National Guard and they sure don't use it. I contract
to Fiirst Union and they don't use it as well, except in very small pockets
among the techies and without permission.

The government now is looking at using Star Office but for Windows.Not
Linux. Linux is still considered a hacker's OS by many and the newsgroup
don't help to dispell this image.

> Then why does the subject come up so regularly?

The subject comes up when Linux users bring it up. mention Linux to folks
at the departmnt stores and see the look on their faces. The media loves to
bring the subject up knowing it will stir up emotions and dollars. However,
they all seem to feel that Linux is a ways from the desktop.

> Get organised and incorporated to battle the monster of Redmond, and it
> will crush you. Have fun, and you may simply outlast it. It seems to have
> worked so far ...

I agree wholeheartly. Frankly, I hope that linux doesn't take the desktop.
it is fun always being the underdog and laughing at the people in the next
cube when the network connection drops and Windows locks up. I enjoying
typing then, so that they can hear me. Hee-hee.

--
Jose
[EMAIL PROTECTED]