For starters I am really exited to see MandrakeSoft forging ahead with a
router/firwall only version of its distribution.

My test system goes something as follows:
1. Older ASUS A7V m/b with BIOS version 1007 and vt82c686a south
bridge.  (Reflashed BIOS a while back.)
2. Hitachi DVD ROM GD-7500 on secondary controller.
3. IBM DTTA-371010 on onboard Promise controller.  (I don't really care
about what is on this disk.)

My venture to install on my test system did not make it far.  I do not
use the primary IDE controller on the board because it keeps on
hanging.  I have the DVD drive on the secondary controller by itself
because I have had too many bad experiences putting hard drives on the
same bus as my CD ROM drives and I have found that sticking CD ROM
drives on a Promise controller did not work all that great in the past.
When I tried to install SNF it said that it could not find any valid
drives to install on.  When I stick in the mdk 8.0 cd it has no problems
detecting the hard drive.

When I downloaded the ISO image I checked it against the md5 check sum
and it checked out.  I burned the CD using gcombust under mdk 8.0 with
an HP 9100i.  I burned at 8x w/ no fifo size specified (said it will
assume 4 mb buffer which is what the drive has anyway) w/ PAD and DAO
options selected.  One thing that caught my attention (I am an old
xcdroast fan though with 8.0 it doesn't quite work right anymore) is
that when I mounted the image on a loopback device and specified a
verify under gcombust it reported that a lot of the files on the
loopback where regular while the files on the burned CD where weird.  I
am not sure what this means.  Here is an except from the top:

File /mnt/test/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/basename is a regular file while
file /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/basename is a weird file
File /mnt/test/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/bug is a regular file while file
/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/bug is a weird file
File /mnt/test/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/cat is a regular file while file
/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/cat is a weird file
File /mnt/test/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/chmod is a regular file while
file /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/mdkinst/usr/bin/chmod is a weird file

Does anyone have suggestions on where to go from hear?