Saturday 30 June 2001 07:51, etharp wrote:

> slot. If so, you can either move the WINTV to another PCI slot, form the
> system BIOS you might be able to enable a PCI slot for bus mastering."
> my experiance has been that video cards, winTV cards, IDE and SCSI
> controllers, network cards and sound cards (and I usually install them in
> that order from slot 1 down towards the other side of the MB) in about that
> order need bus master slots.

Hi, I've been spending time fiddling with my computer, alas without any
success!
I removed the  WinTV card as well as the sound card and tried a number of
things, none of which helped. However, during all these reboots I discovered:

During bootup, mandrake goes through the regular startup sequence:

Checking for new hardware [OK]
Setting network parameters [OK]
Bringing up interface lo [OK]
Bringing up interface eth0 [OK]
Starting system logger

and it's right there that my computer often pauses for approx. 1 min. I see
some minor activity on the cable modem but apart from that, it seems to be
just waiting.
When it does not pause there, it boots up into my login manager [xdm at this
very moment] and I login and use the computer without any problems. However,
if it pauses there then I'm in trouble later on:
the login manager fails to start up and I get the console tty1.
I can't  login to tty1-6, i.e. I type in the login name and password and
after approx. 1 min I get a flashing error message:
login timed out after ??? sec.
and I get the login prompt again.
Since I don't have a network, I only know of 2 options: ctrl-alt-del or the
SysRq sequence.

During bootup, there are never any complaints, I always eventually get the
messages

Starting system logger [OK]
Starting kernel logger [OK]

But the correspondence between pauses during the starting of the system
logger and X crash and console login trouble later on is 100%.

When looking for a culprit, the first suspect is a hardware conflict, esp.
the irq sharing between the PCI cards.
However, I have the following question: Do irq problems and other hardware
problems not lead to complete system lockups? If hardware problems were at
fault here, I would expect the keyboard and monitor to be unresponsive which
is not the case for me.

Anyway, this is the setup for me after I removed the WinTV-Go card and the
sound card and disabled the USB port in linux [not in the BIOS, I need it in
windows] and moved the printer from the USB port to the parallel port:

AGP:  The graphics card,
PCI slot 1: empty
PCI slot 2: empty
PCI slot 3: SIIG Ultra ATA controller card [set for UDMA 33]
PCI slot 4: network card, Linksys LNE 100, version 2.
PCI slot 5: empty
and the interrupts are:
AGP: 11
PCI slot 3: 5
PCI slot 4: 10
USB port: 10
Bridge: 9

I've also experimented with the setup of irqs and rebooted once into each of
them. On one of them I had the xdm crash/console login problem, but the other
2 passed succeeded on that 1 boot that I tried. I also realized that the irq
for the USB port is always the same as the irq for PCI slots 4 and 5.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Narfi.
----