was the box moved while it was off?  does it (or can you set the BIOS so that
it does) run the memory test at boot (before any hard drives are seen)?
counting all the mem? maybe a memeory chip is loose in the socket? maybe lilo
is lunched... but you should still let the memory be counted at boot and let
us know what number it shows.