Ross--

This isn't strictly a Linux question, of course... Which means I have a
snowball's chance of having some expertise around it. ;-)

> <VirtualHost 203.14.156.30>
> ServerName net.bunyip.apana.org.au
> ServerAlias net net.bunyip.apana.org.au
> DocumentRoot /home/httpd/net
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/httpd/net/cgi-bin/
> ErrorLog logs/net_errors.log
> </VirtualHost>

<Directory /home/httpd/net>
AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

> This virtual host also has a directory I want private but the server is not
> repecting the .htaccess file.  The contents of the files are the same
> except for the 'Authname' line (they use the same keyfile).

My hunch is that somewhere with bigger scope than this one <VirtualHost>
directive, you have "AllowOverride none" set. That instructs Apache not to
even look for directory-specific configuration files (commonly called
.htaccess files after their default filename, but which can be called
something else with the AccessFileName directive). AllowOverride is a
directive that requires directory context, so you need directory-specific
configuration to turn it on--doing it inside the <VirtualHost> won't work.

Now that you have a <Directory> for this directory, though, it makes more
sense to put the contents of your .htaccess file into this directive. Use of
per-directory config files has significant performance ramifications.

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#allowoverride for more about
the AllowOverride .

--
Dan Ray