On Thursday 12 July 2001 09:43 pm, L.V.Gandhi wrote:

> 2)I have seen if in KDE control panel for sound, sound server, option
> of start arts server on kde startup enabled gives this this knotify
> error. 3) where is the System Notifications.

   UNchecking (disabling) the aRts server effectively disables System
Notifications.  You'll find the complete System Notifications setup
under Control Center | Look'n Feel.  Still, I have to tell'ya that
disabling aRts is only avoiding the real problem. Something is hosed
with your installation and/or configuration.

    Since I only had the knotify problem quite a while ago with forced
beta upgrades to early KDE2, I really don't know, or remember anyhow,
what needs to be fixed.  I disable system sounds anyhow as a matter of
preference. You might try renaming your /home/<user>/.kde dir (eg,
.old-kde), and restarting. When KDE runs again it'll generate a new
/.kde with all it's configs. You'll lose all your personal changes, but
it might fix your knotify problem. Otherwise the problem is most likely
much deeper.

    I'd should point out again that when you get a lib like knotify.so
going wild (next best example is probly Nutscrape setting off ld.linux),
it really churns your cpu/cache/ram. This can overheat a marginal or
inadequately cooled system (include overclocked) to the point of
causing possible damage. So it behooves you to find and correct the
underlying problem with knotify.so. Disabling aRts, or renaming
knotify.so is only a temporary kludge.

    Situations like this are also a good example of why, if your
motherboard supports it, everybody should enable lm_sensors and an
appropriate FE for it to display cpu temp. I use Gkrellm. Often the
first warning you'll get that a process or app has gone wild is a rise
to the max in cpu temp. 'Course weaker systems will just freeze or
randomly reboot if a wild process is left unattended to. If monitoring
isn't feasible, the next best thing is to run 'top' with the <Shift+P>
option to display which proccesses are using the most % of cpu.
--
   Tom Brinkman      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Galveston Bay