John Rigby wrote:

> Hi folks,
> No wonder so many people do give up on Linux! :-)
> I have downloaded for the second time ( in case of error) the IBM
> WEbsphere package and attempted to install it.
>
> All of the responses are fine all the way EXCEPT that the program is
> nowhere to be seen. Yet if I try to install again I'm told it is
> there.  If I uninstall I can then re-install and go around the same
> rosebush!
>
> It has also happened with IglooFTP just now, so it isn't a faulty IBM
> D/load.
>
> And this is the easy stuff!
> I haven't started on the fact that my soundcard is recognised and no
> sound at all.
> My printer was bought especially for Linux compatability and it half
> works ( Lexmark Z32)
>
> I have RT$%#$%%M and tried MANY times to solve these things
> myself............
> I have noted many errors in the destructions which I am notarising to
> forward when I finally get through it all, especially the problems
> with bug-fixes that Newbies certainly would not be expecting to
> require before the install would work!
>
> With all of this in mind, I would like to ask the other REAL Newbies
> ( non-commandliners) on the list to send me the "gotchas" that caught
> them when starting out and I will put them into a report for Mandrake
> to help others along the way.
>
> It can be done! We can escape that other one!  AND take others with
> us!   :-)
>
> Meanbwhile, any help on the above greatly appreciated - I opened my
> expanded mouth and said " No worries - I'll just switch over to Linux
> (Mandrake - the easy one!) over the weekend and get the new Site up
> in a flash............... "
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> John
>
> Fablor now Webhosting?? What on earth for??  Info here:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (it's only an Autoresponder)  :-)

Hello John,

WebShpere gets installed in /opt folder. Ensure that you install
WebSphere as root from the console window. My copy is working very well.
After installing it, open a console and type in: hpbuilder -e
Press the [enter] key. Give it a few moments start up.

--
Roman
Registered Linux User #179293