They are just animated GIF files. Could they be done with a simple screen
capture programme? I know both GNOME and KDE have applets designed to do
this, and The GIMP can do this as well. KDE 2.2 (IIRC) will have a feature
where you can press your Print Screen key and capture your desktop to the
clipboard, and Ctrl-Print Screen will capture the current window.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson