Acouple of things.
First, you are likely to get more answers 9and some might even be correct) if
you and whom ever you are conversing with will hit the reply to all, so the
messages go to the whole list, then we all can benifit from your problems and
answers. and go ahead and quote the mail that you think is important in the
reply.
Secondly, don't be afraid to modify a script at a text console.... this
really is one of the best ways to learn and control your system. And you will
become a real linuxer soon too.
if you do include demand in the conf file, make sure you also include an
idle=300 ( or some number, it is seconds of inactiveity before the modem
drops the connection).