On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 02:19, Randy Kramer wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:20, Robert MacLean wrote:
> > > What is postfix? It keeps telling me it's going to have it run as a
> > > server, but what is it/does it do. I'm worried to let it run (cause I
> > > don't know what it does), but I'm also worried to not let it run.
> >
> > If you don't know what it is, then you don't need it. Go to Software
> > Manager and uninstall the "postfix" package. You shouldn't be bothered
> > again.
>
> Sridhar (or anyone else),
>
> I have one concern and two questions.  As you know, postfix is the MTA
> (Mail Transport Agent).  IIRC, when I had postfix disabled, I did not
> receive the various email messages that Linux may send to root
> (warnings, cron job failures, etc.) (well at least as AFAIK, but I may
> not have looked).  (When logging in at  a console, I never received any
> of those "You have mail" messages.)
>
> 1. Will those messages get delivered to root even if postfix is not
> running?
>
> 2. If not, are they filling some queue somewhere that one should look
> for, review, and periodically empty?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy Kramer

Postfix is required to deliver the messages. Without it, the system will
recognise that there is nothing to deliver the massages and so will not do
anything. It will, however, print a message to the screen (tty12). I
recommended that Robert uninstall postfix because he obviously doesn't know
what it is, and so it wouldn't be of any use to him. It it was installed, and
he didn't check his mail, the messages would just pile up and steal hard
drive space.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson