On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:21, Jeferson Lopes Zacco wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I was making a webpage to tell all reallll newwwbies (TM) like me how
> to get sound going on with Quake3 ( should someone be interested- I doubt
> it- mail me) when I went to check how did the page looked when viewed from
> Linux browsers (I'll explain: even though I managed to configure my
> winmodem under LM8 it looks like my ISP won't support Linux boxes
> connecting to it. Sad. So I'm stuck with window$ and exploder for
> internet.). I usually write HTML with a text-editor, so I'm sure there's no
> fancy Exploder only code in my pages.
>
>     Oddly enough, all browsers managed to make my page look somewhat
> different. Even Mozilla and Netscape, which I though were close relatives,
> behave totally different about tables, width and bgcolor (in a table/tr/td
> tag.). Konqueror was the most annoying, it made two of my tables overlap.
>     Is there a way to make sure my page looks good across all browsers?
> other than making it a PDF file? As I said I don't use any particular code
> /tag, all I use is pretty standart ( or so I hope), but if a browser cannot
> handle things such a s a bgcolor for a table then it might rend my page
> unreadable.
>
> TIA
>  --Jeferson L. Zacco aka Wooky

Try these:

http://www.anybrowser.org/campaign/
http://www.delorie.com/web/wpbcv.html

The best way to ensure compatibility, IMHO, is to make your page 100%
standards-compliant. The W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) offer a HTML
Validation Service (http://validator.w3.org/) and a CSS Validation Service
(http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/). I often make pages using an editor
like Quanta+ (or even StarOffice). I then open the page in Amaya
(http://www.w3.org/Amaya/) and make sure that it is standards-compliant
before saving it. Amaya, being a W3C project, is designed to output 100%
standards-compliant code. If the page looks fine in Amaya, then it should
pass the W3C Validation Service tests.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson