Hi gang,

I've got a fairly serious problem with my linux box (dual boot with
Win98).

I left my machine at work running overnight. When I came in this morning
it had died and when I attempted to reboot I've got a 'kernel panic'
message driven by an inability to mount the root fs (reiser). This means
I can't use 'failsafe' or anything else in lilo.

Here's the particulars:

LM 8.0 June Freq Update: includes kernel 2.4.5, gnome 1.4, kde 2.2alpha,
etc. Been working fine (for a week or so).

Machine: Micron w/PII @ 480 mhz, 64 mg RAM, 10 gig drive, etc.

Filesystem: Reiser FS on all partitions except Swap. I've been using
Reiser on everything but swap for the last 6 months. No problems.

I don't have a boot floppy (coulnd't make one on this installation. do
have a boot floppy at home but my drives at home are partitioned
slightly differently [windoze has drives c and d so linux starts at
hda3; here they start with hda2]).

My 'official' LM CDs with the update are at home as well.

I can drag these things in tomorrow.

In checking the Reiser website I see that there is a Reiser analog to
fsck - reiserfsck - I'm assuming it's installed but how do I use it if I
can't access the drive???

Clearly I can reinstall and reformat the partitions but I'll lose
everything. I could reformat only / and hopefully recover /home (which
is Reiser) where all the 'good stuff' is.

But is there some way to run 'reiserfsck' if I can boot from a floppy?

Anybody have some clever idea(s)?

TIA.

Terry Smith
Woods Hole, MA