On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:47, Judith Miner wrote:
> Alan wrote:
> >> just read about the SirCam virus - do I panic slowly? <<
>
> You don't panic at all. In order to get infected, you have to open the
> attachment that contains the virus. I assume you don't open attachments
> you weren't expecting to get and that you check ALL attachments,
> regardless of file type or who sent them, with at least one up-to-date
> antivirus program before you open them. SirCam comes with an odd e-mail
> message--something like "hi  I'd like your advice about this" (I don't
> remember the exact wording).
>
> I've gotten messages with SirCam attachments, AnnaK, ILoveYou, and
> everything else that's made the news, but have never opened a single one
> and have never had a virus in 14 years of using computers.
>  --Judy Miner

The answer is simple: if you don't use Outlook/Outlook Express (in Windows,
of course), you are 100% safe from these. So in other words, you are safe in
GNU/Linux.

I got three SirCam messages from the same person (I have no idea who it was)
just yesterday. I was laughing my head off :-)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson