Re Low Level Formatting

Maybe somebody can clarify my recollection.  Once upon a time, low level
formatting was a well known and recommended procedure.  (I'm bad with
time -- maybe in the time period 10 to 15 years ago.)

Then there came a time when the wisdom was that you should not low level
format a disk, that the drive did not have the necessary hardware to
allow a "real" low level format, and the low level format would destroy
the disk (by doing something like erasing or messing up the "timing"
marks on the disk.   (Maybe this refers to a certain type of disk --
maybe this was early IDE drives??)

Now, it appears that low level formatting is again allowed /
recommended.  Is this because:

1. There never was a real problem with low level formatting any disk?

2. Disks have changed again, and low level formatting is now supported?

3. Low level formatting has changed -- the procedure / software to do
low level formatting is not the same as the low level formatting that
was described as capable of destroying a disk several years ago.

If there truly is a type of disk that should not be low level formatted,
even if an older type, maybe we need to be careful about stating that.

Randy Kramer