On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 22:50, Adams, Jamie wrote:
> Sorry to butt in here... are we all sure about this low-level format
> thing? im sure i heard civileme say that it can do more damage than good
> in certain circumstances.
>
> If you are going to stick with Linux and get rid of Windows im sure that
> the standard format in the Mandrake install process will do the job just
> fine.
>
> Just a thought, correct me if im wrong..
>                    -- Jamie

You are absolutely correct. The basic rule of thumb is to NEVER do a
low-level format. The factory default low-level format is often optimised for
that particular kind of drive. If you do a low-level format from your BIOS
(as they usually are done) you can destroy this optimisation. There is also a
chance of damaging your drive with a low-level format. A low-level format
should only be done in extreme circumstances, like if your HDD is on its
deathbed and you are willing to take a risk to place it on life-support for a
little while.

The best way to remove Windos 100% is to use a tool like diskdrake to delete
the Windos partition. You can then make a new partition in that space and
format it with a GNU/Linux filesystem, like Ext2 or ReiserFS.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson