At 07:37 PM 08/05/2001 -0500, Matt Greer wrote:
>On Sunday 05 August 2001 19:32, Tuan Duc Tran wrote:
>> Can any tell me the difference between Sendmail and Fetchmail?
>
>Sendmail is for sending mail, typically to send your outgoing mail over to
>your isp so they can then send it to the recipient from there.

Actually sendmail (especially on static-IP mail servers) is bidirectional,
in that it is used not only to "send" but also to "receive" e-mail.  This
is different than the protocol used to "check" e-mail (be it pop3, imap, etc).

>mail programs like pine, elm and mutt don't actually connect to your isp's
>mail server to get mail, they just look in the local mail folder. So you
need
>to use fetchmail in order to use these types of mail programs.

Pine, at least, can be configured to check for e-mail via pop3 (not sure
about imap).  So yes, it can connect to an isp's mail server.

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978