On Tue, 7 Aug 2001 23:18:41 -0400
Tim Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insightfully noted:

TH> This really comes down to what do they want to do with the machines.
TH> Are these going to be desktops for users?  Are these going to be
TH> servers?  Are these going to be used to teach a class on Linux?
<Big snip to preserve bandwidth>
TH> Slackware wasn't anything impressive honestly.  It's install was a lot
TH> like FreeBSD, but nothing special.  I honestly didn't leave it
TH> installed
TH> long enough since I had to use that machine as a test server for
TH> RedHAT
TH> for our current project.
TH>
TH> But where you'll find a fair comparison of the distros to let you know
TH> which one you should choose for what, good luck!  I've looked.  All of
TH> them have been out dated, and biased.  But something like this should
TH> be
TH> researched AFTER they know what they want to do with the machines.
TH>
TH> Hope that helps a little.
TH> tdh
Nice tidy summation, Tim.  You hit most of the major Linux and *BSD
distros in a fairly unimpassioned, relatively _nuetral_ manner.  I once
read of Slackware (on another list I believe) that i wa not really a
distro, at all, just a tarball of someone's hard drive ;o)
Mike

--
"If a man loses his reverence for any part of life, he will lose his
reverence for all of life."