I don't know anything about MandrakeFreq 2, but if it is Linux, you should
check the file /etc/fstab to check the perms of the line for /mnt/cdrom.  A
quick check to see if it is the problem would be to:

1. su to root
2. umount /mnt/cdrom
3. mount /dev/<device> /mnt/cdrom
  (note: to find out what device [hda,hdc,etc.] your cdrom is, type
dmesg and scroll    through until you see your cdrom info)
4. cd /mnt/cdrom  ---you should have access

If this solves your problem you will want to edit your /etc/fstab file.
Read the manpage on fstab for additional options like auto, users, and
supermount.

The same thing can be done for the floppy drive.  Hope this helps