I'm so sorry.  I appear to have been careless and premature.  Nope,, not
resolved.  Whereas Gnome can now set the background (it couldn't
before), I still get two sets of icons overlapping each other, one with
pretty pictures, the other with default, no icon to display ugly ones).
Anybody know what is going on, is this gnome/sawfish and nautilus both
doing there job at the same time or something else.

Soryy to bother, thanks for the help, everyone!

-Paul Rodríguez