If you are interested in upgrading apps beyond those carried
in the Security updates add a Cooker source to your Software Mgr.
This will auto download and install any depends that might be needed.

In the case of GnuCash you will get a glibc warning.
Do a force on it since glibc-dev is alao being upgraded.

This in not a cure all procedure.
Some apps will upgrade simply with no depends, but other will have 15 or
more
and then you can still end up with conflicts and have to abort the install.

The only way for the for the package installation to become simpler is for
Linux
to stop evolving, for all pkgs except for applications to become frozen,
that there be only 1 kernel in use, and that all distributions be the same.
Is it just me or does this sound like the way someone esle does things.

   Charles  (-:

Forever never goes beyond tomorrow.